Monday 2 March 2020

Publications, February

Glad to report that February saw my first publication at the British site CapX  and a very snarky, anti-bitcoin piece at that. A second piece at HumanProgress, where I got to discuss CPI in economic history. Lovely!

For the rest of the month: Stats, Harry Potter, Finance & Environmentalism and, of course, a little bit of crypto towards the end of it. Another decent month.

If you like my work, consider supporting it at Buy Me a Coffee and follow my work at Twitter.

CapX: 
  • [1] 'No Matter the Facts, Bitcoiners Cling to the Crypto Creed': fiat's average life-span is 27 years? Nop. Bitcoin's volatile exchange rate falls with scale? Nop. Bitcoin a better transfer of value across the globe? Nop. None of these facts matter: crypto enthusiasts maintain their creed: "Facts, truth, reality, or science are archaic ideals unsuited to an era of bitcoin supremacy."
HumanProgress:
Medium
  • [3] 'Three Phases of My Personal Finance Journey', where I outlined Richest Man in Babylon creed - always pay yourself first - and how that advice has led me to where I am today. I also featured a shout-out to two of my greatest (non-fictional!) sources of inspiration: DividendMantra and Lundaluppen. 
  • [4] 'Feeling Good, Not Doing Good' a rather vicious piece on environmentalists, fuelled by the excellent John Tierney's "The Perverse Panic over Plastic." Read at your own peril. 
  • [5] 'Making a Living as a Freelancer', a comprehensive outline of my earnings, taxes and expenses over the last 6-7 months, where I always compared benefits of this #nomad lifestyle of mine to the next-best option. I included some discussion of what would entice me to give this up and settle for a Regular Job.
    Notes On Liberty: (see all my posts here)
    • [6] 'The Least Empathic Lot', where I discuss three cool topics: male-female divides, empathy & Jonathan Haidt's moral foundations, and libertarianism!
    American Institute for Economic Research (all my pieces here)
    • [7] 'All Hail Statistics!', a stats-loving piece on a) how empathy can lead us astray, and b) how statistics can help us counteract the very biases and moral mistakes that empathy induce us towards. 
    • [8] 'Search Engines Are Better Than Hogwarts', ah! Man, do I love my cheesy pop-culture pieces. Here's another one: sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, said Arthur C. Clarke. Mhm. And I'm saying that search engines  those magnificent technologies that allow us unlimited access to the sum total of humanity's knowledge  trumps even the magical world of J.K. Rowling's fictional world. 
    • [9] 'The Implausible Claims of Green High Finance', where I discuss green bonds, central banks supporting the *Green Revolution*, and various fund managers and banks around the world signaling their greenwashing virtue. Next bubble: the ESG bubble!
    • [10] 'Are All Cryptocurrencies Pyramid Schemes?', a cheeky piece where I make two claims, at least one of which is bound to annoy everyone I know: (1) all cryptocurrencies are pyramid schemes; (2) that's a trivial statement as all moneys, property and valuable items  like pyramid schemes  rely for their value on the ability to offload them later to another person. 
    Stay tuned and enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment